Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Prey

Prey
Jonathan Bas
Per.5
This book entitled, “Prey”, was written by the author called Micheal Crichton. This book was definitely one of the best books that I have ever read. I enjoyed it so much because it combined the emotions, and struggles of marriage, and family life with adventure, and danger. The marriage struggles that the book brought out were the struggles of Julia choosing between her family, and her job. There is another struggle because as far as Jack is concerned, his wife Julia is cheating on him with someone from work. The danger that I found so thrilling in this book came from the fact that the whole story is based on survival due to a lethal particle sized predator that was let loose from a Nevada laboratory. Also due to the idea of survival that is so prevailing in the book, there is a load of adventure as well. There was definitely nothing that I didn't like about this book. The only thing that was questionable for me was the fact that two main characters died at the end of the book. I would definitely recommend this book to my peers. I recommend this book especially to those that are real- life adventure lovers. The setting of the book is what really made the story unique. For example during the first half of the story, Jack (The main character) is left at home without a job, even though he has a college education in computer technologies, this is most likely to happen in silicon valley where the first half of the story actually takes place. For the second half of the story, the setting is in the Xeon Technologies laboratory in middle of the Nevada desert. If it weren't to be for that Unique setting, the story wouldn't have really worked out. The characters from the story definitely seem real, and believable because each, and every one of them has an every day personality, as well as their own personal problems. Each characters' problems include marital, family, attitude, and emotional problems. These are the reasons why the characters are so believable because of the broadness of their problems. I myself really can't relate to the characters' predicaments because I've never been married, and because my family really doesn't have very many family problems. The main character reminds me of myself to a certain extent only because he doesn't question authority the same way that I wouldn't dare to. The events in this book reveal evidence of the author's world view because through out the entire book the author continues to refer to multiple scientific theories, and possible scientific ideas. Due to him referring to all these scientific theories, one can conclude that the author views the world through very scientific, and theoretical eyes. The events that occur through out the book also show that the author thinks of this world as a world where anything can be made possible with the power of science, and man.

No comments:

Post a Comment